Thursday, August 04, 2005

My friend Sam Allison

I was utterly shocked and deeply saddened to hear of the death of Sam on Wednesday morning. Sam was killed by a car while riding his bike from my home town of Motherwell to Hamilton on Tuesday evening.

I first met Sam at a small Duathlon near Edinburgh a few years back. We were both keen to try a race the next day and so we drove 3 hours to Dundee on a typically bleak Scottish Sunday morning - only to find the race had been cancelled due to poor conditions! so it was an immediate return journey. This was the first time i had met Sam but the long journey was not a chore. We chatted away, about Scotland, about his job as a policeman, triathlon etc.

Since my move to Spain i didn't see Sam so much but kept in periodic contact. I always heard of his exploits, particularly through my brother and the 'bundy' cycling bunch in Lanarkshire. Sam was a very competitive triathlete and cyclist, and improved greatly on the bike over the past 2 years. He greatly enjoyed cycling, triathlon, competing, and the companionship of the bundy cycling bunch and Royal Albert Cycling Club where he made many friends.

I last saw Sam in June when we were competing for Scotland at the British Duathlon Champs in Milton Keynes. We shared a room, and an early 6am breakfast of nutri-grain bars before the race. We had a good weekend and i bade farewell, saying we'd meet soon during my summer vacation in Scotland for some training.

He will be sorely missed by many people and my thoughts and prayers go to his wife and daughters.


Cyclists, please be safe and aware on the road. Drivers, please be patient, aware and respectful of cyclists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home